This recipe is a clear soup which usually served as appetizer. Clear soups are often made from the broth of garlic, beef, chicken or fish. As the first course of a meal, these soups are not filling; they simply whet your appetite in preparation for a heavy dish.
- 6 c beef stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 6 slices day-old bread
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry garlic and onions in oil until slightly brown
- Pour in beef stock. Season with salt and pepper
- To make croutons: cut bread into cubes. Melt butter in a skillet. Put bread cubes in butter, and brown until crisp
- Put few hot croutons on top of the soup before serving.
- When making soup with homemade stock, chill the stock before making the soup so fat can be easily removed.
- Peeling Garlic: if the skin won't come off easily, just pour hot water over the garlic bud